Saturday, December 6, 2014

Food Insanity

Hello Everyone! This is going to be a food blog of some Vietnamese delicacies and my all-time favorites. I believe that home cooked meals are the best meal, that’s why we rarely eat out. All my life I've been raised eating various kinds of Vietnamese foods. Thankfully, in my household, my dad is the chef and he can cook almost all Vietnamese food, expect desserts. Luckily, in 2010 we went on a family vacation for three weeks in Vietnam and it was one of the best experiences in my life. The best part about Vietnam, besides the history and culture, were the street food carts. Words can’t describe how delicious they were and the tastes were original and authentic. Unfortunately, I was too busy eating in Vietnam that I didn't even take one picture of the food! So instead, I’ll provide you with Google pictures of some of my favorite and popular Vietnamese dishes.

Get ready for some mouth-watering pictures! 



Phở 
Phở is the most popular dish in Vietnam. It’s a Vietnamese noodle soup that consists of broth, linguine-shaped rice noodles called bánh phở, a few herbs, and meat. Usually, people put two condiments in their Phở, Sriracha hot chili sauce and Hoisin Sauce (black sauce.)



Bún bò Huế
The second popular dish in Vietnam is Bún bò Huế. It’s a balance of spicy, sour, salty and sweet flavors with a hint of lemon grass. Compared to Phở, the noodles are thicker and more cylindrical.



Mì Xào

                                              Crunchy                                                 Soft
This dish originated in China but soon became popular in many regions in Vietnam. Mì xào is stir fried egg noodles that can be served two ways; crunchy or soft. It’s topped with a wide array of seafood, beef, pork, chicken, and vegetables, in a gravy sauce.




Cơm tấm
Cơm tấm also known as "broken rice" is usually served with grilled pork (either ribs or shredded) and the Vietnamese dish  (thinly shredded pork mixed with cooked and thinly shredded pork skin) over broken rice. Most restaurants serve side dishes such as fish sauce and broth soup.



Onto the next course, DESSERT! 
There are many different types of Vietnamese sweet cakes and desserts, that’s why I’m going to put two of my favorites. 



Bánh kẹp Lá dứa
Bánh kẹp lá dứa also referred as "Pandan waffles" are flavored with pandan and coconut milk. They are characterized by their spring green color and browning when cooked. It’s a popular street food that is favored among children. 


Chè ba màu
Chè is a Vietnamese term that refers to any traditional Vietnamese sweet beverage, dessert soup or pudding. Chè ba màu literally means three color chè. It usually includes green mung bean, white black-eyed peas, and red azuki beans and coconut milk.




 Vietnam 2010
Now, let’s finish off with a picture taken of my sister and I with Chef Gordon Ramsay from two of our favorite TV shows; Hell’s Kitchen and MasterChef. We coincidentally met Mr. Ramsay at a street market near our hotel in Vietnam 2010.

1 comment:

  1. I never had Vietnamese Food before in my life and you really made my mouth water. The noodles and the desserts sounds really delicious and made me want to eat Japanese food which is what I was raised with. In Japan the most popular noodle dishes are soba and udon. Soba noodles are thinner compared to udon. Udon is a really thick and is really good with hot soup, cold soup, and curry. Sobe noodles are really food with fried vegetables and shrimp but I have never seen soba at restaurants in Yuma. I have seen udon in Yuma and I recommend you to eat udon when you have a chance. I cannot wait to go to a Vietnamese restaurant to eat one of those noodles.

    ReplyDelete